For example, a Technician recently ran training days in London, Warrington and Wales for staff from cochlear implant centres on the use of personal FM systems with implants and Consultants have demonstrated the use of language assessment tools.
Our Technician and Consultant provided a training update session for ToDs in the North West on the use of personal FM systems with cochlear implants. Feedback from participants was very positive, with comments including:
- Excellent delivery and appreciated hands on approach
- Useful being able to ask questions in workshop
- Relevant – FM / CI
- Superb information
Specific training is offered to colleagues as part of their continuing professional development (CDP). The Assessment of Comprehension and Expression (ACE) is a language assessment tool for children aged 6-11 years. This was introduced during a day’s training with a team of teachers of the deaf to see if it would be an appropriate resource for their Service.
The day included:
- Video of a deaf child to see the assessment in use
- Hands on sections of the assessment, opportunities to anyalyse a transcript and follow the scoring rationale
- Open discussion of pros and cons
In this way, quality time was devoted to the task and specific skills were developed in addition to decisions about the appropriateness of the materials for the team.